Thursday, November 17, 2011

72- Hour Kits

I have really been struggling to finish my little family's 72-Hour Kits.  I think it's because I let some of my perfectionism get in the way.  Here is what I have learned so far.  USE WHAT YOU HAVE!!! If you go out and buy all the best stuff you will be stuck with really expensive kits that you might never use and empty pockets. If you haven't started yet or aren't quite finished (like me) take this list and go on a scavenger hunt to find as many items as you can in your home (only use items that wont be missed...too much).

My 72-Hour Kit
duffel bag with wheels
1 set of cloths (pants, shirt, under garments, beanie, scarf, baseball hat,socks)
scriptures
3 bottles of water
travel sized shampoo
conditioner
liquid body soap
tooth paste
tooth brush
medium sized towel
feminine supplies
chap stick
lotion
hand sanitizer
sunscreen
deodorant
2 pair 1-time use contacts
roll of toilet paper in plastic baggie
tissues
comb
2 hair ties
small mirror
3 trash bags
notebook -pen and pencil
deck of cards
3 sudoku pages
3 crossword puzzle pages
current picture of our family
whistle on a neck cord
glow stick on a neck cord
$50 emergency cash and coins
mini first aid kit
vitamins
beef jerky
raisins
chewy bars
nature valley bars
fruit roll ups
fruit snacks
pop tarts
plastic cutlery
flashlight and batteries
mixed nuts
extra glasses in case
 emergency candles

Items that are not in kit to grab: (place close to kits)
sleeping bag
small tent
2.5 gallon water jug
shoes and socks (these are located under my bed in case of a fire where I need to exit out my window)
jacket (has another $50 stashed in the pocket)

Here is what I still need:
3-N95 mask
thermal reflective blanket (space blanket)
map of Turlock
waterproof matches
rain poncho
copies of important documents (health insurance, license, birth certificate, marriage papers, ect.)
list of items in kit
list of important phone numbers

Now...is there anything else that I am forgetting?  Do I have too much stuff?  Where is the best place to get the rest of the things on my list for cheap?  Do you have any more ideas for what type of food I should include? How are you doing on your kits?

My goal is to have my kits complete by next week...so I can show all of you how they turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment