Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gingerbread Houses

I prefer to make gingerbread houses using graham crackers rather than actual gingerbread.  Mostly, because I have never made it before but also because I never eat my house.  I just make them because they are fun and cute.  While I use graham crackers instead of gingerbread there really is no substitute for "cement" icing or royal icing.

In a mixer combine
5 cups powdered sugar
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

If your frosting is not thick enough then just keep adding powdered sugar until desired consistency.  I look for when the frosting sticks to the whisk attachment on my Kitchen Aid and doesn't run at all.

Here's how our houses turned out:
 It's Santa's house.  See the north pole?


 We weren't quit sure it was going to stay up.  Here original idea was The Burrow from Harry Potter.
 Oh how I love me some Tony time!  I can't get enough of this little man (he's not so little any more).
 His fingers are the monster!  Notice the button above the door for Santa to use in case the chimney is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment