Monday, July 2, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

Here is a recipe that was passed down to me from my mama.  Not only are this way yummy they have a special place in my heart.  My brother Mark loves these cinnamon rolls and I remember my Mom making them when he came home from bootcamp and his tour in Iraq.  She also loved feeding the missionaries breakfast because she figured they ate a lot of cold breakfasts. She would make scrambled eggs, bacon, and orange juice to go with it.  They were a special treat on Christmas Morning.  My favorite memories of cinnamon rolls however, are of General Conference.  My mom would mix them up before the first session and let them rise while we all listened to the speakers and then we would eat them for a late breakfast before the next session started.

Ingredients:
2 cups milk
1 cube butter
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbl. sugar
2 Tbl. yeast
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
6 cups flour

1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbl. cinnamon
 1 cube butter

powdered sugar
milk

 I like to start these the night before so the dough can sit in the fridge overnight and all I have to do is roll them out and bake them in the morning.

Directions:
Put 2 cups of milk and 1 cube butter in a glass measuring cup and scald by microwaving for 2 minutes.  Meanwhile combine warm water, 1 Tbl. sugar, and 2 Tbl. yeast in a separate measuring cup.  Put your scalded milk in your mixer and make sure it has cooled down enough.  Add the 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, and tsp. salt, and yeast mixture.  Whisk it together.  Put your dough hook attachment on and add the flour a cup at a time until it is all combined.  At this point you can put a damp towel over you bowl and stick it in the fridge to use the next morning or you can leave it in a warm place (the counter works just fine) and let it rise.  Once the dough is to the top of the bowl punch it down and let it rise once more.  Now it is time for the fun part.
 Roll out the dough on a floured surface.













No comments:

Post a Comment